October 16, 2008

School Supplies for Blueaurie Primary





Basic school supplies that are plentiful in classrooms here in the United States are lacking in Jamaica's classrooms. Many children in Jamaica are unable to attend school because of the poverty that is prevalent throughout the country.

This week I packed a box with pencils, sharpeners, pens, flashcards, coloring books, crayons, history books, a doll baby, and a letter. I sent them on their way to Blueaurie Primary School, Friendship P. O., Jamaica. Almost all of the items were purchased at the dollar store.

My first hand written letter for Danielle (see previous post on Making a Difference... for reference) included a photo of me. I complimented her on her writing skills and encouraged her to always do her best in school. I described where I live and work and how important her education is.

Along with the school supplies I included a doll and some hair bands for Danielle. I want her to feel special and know that I care about her.

I am anxious for Blueaurie Primary to receive the supplies. It will take 10 days for the package to arrive. I am encouraged by Danielle's letter to me and I know that not only can I make a difference for her but for other children in Jamaica if even in a small way!



8 comments:

Ring by Ring Designs said...

Thanks for sharing about your gift to Danielle. It surely will make a difference in her life. (Your's too, I suspect)
Bev

Leslie Rubio said...

Thanks for saying so Bev! I'm so glad we met and thanks again for the photo of the sand cats at Virginia Beach.

Cat (darklingwoods) said...

What a lovely story, Your blog is just wonderful thank you for inviting me over :)

Cat

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

It will be such a fun day for them~
New school supplies make a child feel ready to go~
Smiles all around!~
Love You~Amy~

Antón Nogueira said...

Hi Leslie, i have read ur message, but i dont understand it so well, but of course everything i can help u, u will always have my help.
I can see ur point of view and the issues they try.It is very nice, to meet people that spends their time in this causes, it is very honorable of ur part..So u will always wellcome to my blog, and also tell u, all you need dont hesitate to ask. see u soon...greetings from Spain..(and excuse me for my poor english)
bye !!!

Judith HeartSong said...

Oh good for you! Keep painting and creating and doing the wonderful things you do. Life is so short.

Pleasure to meet you!

Anonymous said...

great gift sis..
thanks for sharing..

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Leslie,

How very like you to share joy, love, hope, and encouragement. You are a blessing to anyone who is blessed with the opportunity to know you.

The love you send out into the Universe will be multiplied by Jah and returned to you.

When I count my blessings, you are on the list.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots