October 22, 2008

Thoughts On Mom-A Flower of Life

"And so, I believe, it is with your life: you are a flower, needed for a
moment and maybe nothing more. But in that moment, you make the
all-important difference. If you were not there, the day would not be the
same. You are important; you must believe that."

... Linda Hager

This quote that I took from my mother's book of poetry, Children Of The Mind, is part of a story that she told about picking a flower to take to a friend who was having a hard time. How, if the flower hadn't been there, she still would have visited the friend, but the flower added something more to the visit, something that she alone would not have been able to do.

At 58 years young, my Mom had accomplished so much. She was an author, a photographer, a journalist, a wife and mother to 2 children. She had been an advocate for women's rights, civil rights and a lobbyist at the Virginia General Assembly. She had been the editor of a small newspaper, a columnist, a reporter and a speaker. She published several children's books and wrote a play about the life of Jefferson Davis for which she was honored with a medal by the D.A.R. So many accomplishments for such a short lifetime.

So, after I picked up her book of poetry again recently, and read the words that I have quoted above, they rang so true for me. As if she had written those very words just for me. Because I believe now like she did then, that I am a flower and I am here to share with others, however brief, and I will make a difference.

I miss my Mom and I love her so much. I am thankful that she made such a difference for me and for each person that shared a moment with her.


5 comments:

Ring by Ring Designs said...

Leslie, Nice pleasant thoughts about your Mother. Thanks for sharing her with us all. My Mother was special to me too. We still miss them. Bev

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

~Leslie~
You made me cry~
But~ what beautiful words~

I knew your Mom~
She was a good Mom~

I guess sometimes~ & maybe it has something to do with getting older~
When you look at something or read something that has been part of your life for so long~
It is like knowing it for the first time~

It is talking to you now~

That is such a lovely poem~
~how much you two have in common~
I Love You~Amy~

Leslie Rubio said...

Thanks Bev-It's nice to share something/someone that's important to you. Most every Mom is special in their own way-it's just being able to see it and sometimes that takes time.

Amy-You're such a bright spot in my life and you are always so positive and encouraging. Thank you for being a friend always. You should know that I appreciate and love you so much!

Leslie

LADY ROOTS said...

Sistren Leslie,

How blessed we are to be the daughters of amazing Mothers.

What a responsibility we have when it comes to raising our daughters.

May Jah bless all Mothers and their children.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post...